Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Happy Birthday to a Legend and Master of Dance

Gene Kelly is turning 99 years old today! Unfortunately he passed away in 1996 at the age of 83 but he is still alive in my heart. He was the reason I started watching Turner Classic Movies and became such a huge classic film nut. I saw him and Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal (1942) which was his first motion picture and that was it for me. I wanted more of Gene Kelly and more classic films. From then on I came home from school everyday and watched TCM all night! My favorite film of his is Singin' In the Rain (1952) as Don Lockwood. I know it's probably his most well known film but there is a reason for that. He was enchanting, lovable, sarcastic, endearing, and freakin' awesome at dancing in that film as well as all of his others. His smile with that little scar on the left side of his face above his lips just got me every time. He is the guy I wanted to sweep me off my feet and waltz with or tear up a floor tap dancing with. I still do wish that. I always will. So Happy Birthday Gene Kelly it just so happens you and I share the same birthday of August 23rd. I'm 18 now and you're 99, what do you know.

Gene Kelly 1912-1996


  Gene and Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal (1942). They starred in three films together over the years but three wasn't nearly enough. It should have been ten.

       Gene in Thousands Cheer (1943).

            Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire meet in mid air.

            Gene and Cyd Charisse. They were quite a dancing team.

               Gene, Debbie Reynolds, and Don O'Connor in Singin' in the Rain (1952).
             Gene and Don in the "Moses Supposes" number from Singin' in the Rain (1952).

      Gene in drag with Jimmy Stewart.

Gene and his daughter Kerry whose mother is Betsy Blair.

      Gene Kelly with Francoise Dorleac in The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967). This movie was meant to be an homage to the Hollywood musical even though it is a completely French film. His voice was dubbed in the film but he was charming as ever.

          Gene Kelly in That's Entertainment Pt. 2 (1976)


" I never wanted to be a dancer. It's true! I wanted to be a shortstop for the Pittsburgh Pirates."-Gene Kelly

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, what a man ! Can't stop watching his movies over and over again.
    Thank for that sweet post ^^

    lesamoursdedaisie@blogsprot.com

    ReplyDelete